Exodus is the first desktop software wallet to have ShapeShift built into the interface in order to allow for rapid conversion between various altcoins and cryptocurrencies. Beyond having ShapeShift integration, Exodus is a multi-asset wallet and lets you store your private keys in one application with a customizable user interface. Private keys are stored directly on the user’s device so that in the event of operating system failure, the program can be easily restored.
Exodus security and other features
Being a desktop wallet, Exodus encrypts and stores all your data on your computer hard drive i.e. locally thus you are always in full control of your keys and data. When you need to restore the wallet, they email you a secure link that is protected by a 12-word passphrase and Exodus key to reactivate your wallet. This passphrase is very important as you will be your only way to get your wallet back in case you have forgotten your password. But if you lose your passphrase, then there is no other way to get access to your account. Exodus users also have the option to send funds to and receive funds from smart contracts.
- Website: https://www.exodus.io/
- Currencies Supported: Exodus supports nearly three dozen cryptocurrencies including Aragon, Augur, BAT, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Civic, Dash, Decred, District0x, EOS, Ethereum, ETH Classic, FunFair, Gnosis, Golem, Litecoin, OmiseGo, Zcash and SALT
- Pricing: Exodus is free to download and charges a per-transaction fee.
- Payment Method: Exodus is designed for people who have never used an exchange and makes it easy to understand the complex details. In seconds, assets are exchanged behind the scenes.
- Features: 24/7 help desk to help you resolve any issues you might have.
- Other Benefits: The creative, live charts on their platform allow you to track the value of your blockchain asset portfolio, in real-time, as market conditions change. They also offer a Slack channel for communication with other users.
- Hard Wallet or Digital Wallet or Both: Digital(Hot Wallet)
- Desktop or Mobile App: Desktop
- Control Rating: You control
- Type of Verification: Not specified
- Vulnerable or Secure Environment: Mid-level security
- Privacy Rating: Medium privacy
- Available Platforms: iOS, Android, macOS, Windows + integration with Trezor Hardware Wallet
The in-built exchange allows you to convert certain coins to others using a fixed exchange rate:
The coins that you can use to obtain the others are:
- Bitcoin Cash
- Bitcoin SV
- Binance Coin
- USDC Coin
Exodus pros and cons
- The wallet has a great design
- The desktop wallet is 100% free to use
- Good privacy and security
- It is engineered keeping beginners in mind therefore easy to use
- Intuitive interface with powerful charting tool at your disposal
- It supports multiple cryptocurrencies
- It has built-in trading and portfolio functions
- Offers automatic fee adjustment
- Offers great help and prompt support
- Exodus doesn’t offer any web interface or mobile app.
- It has limited security features.
- There is no two-factor authentication.
- Not 100% open source, and as a result, the cryptocurrency community at large has not reviewed it for security bugs.